Aphantasia & Dyslexia

Has anyone here been diagnosed with dyslexia but also has Aphantasia? I was diagnosed with dyslexia as a child as I struggled to read and spell. I have recently realised that I actually have Aphantasia  and was wondering if this could be the cause of my dyslexic traits as I cannot picture the words in my head when trying to spell nor can I hear the words when I read. Would love to know anyones thoughts 

You must be signed in to comment

Hi Ava,

I was diagnosed with dyslexia when I was little, struggled to learn to read and write. I don’t believe I was born with aphantasia but it came on around puberty for me or maybe it just got worse but since then school and learning has become a lot more difficult. I have never been able to picture words or spelling and always struggled with that!

Hope that  helps.

Yes, I am also dyslexic and for most of my life I thought that this was the only condition that made me different from other people, plus having a poor memory. But now I have found out that I have Aphantasia, plus SDAM (Severely Deficient Autobiographical Memory) and Amusia. I think that all of these conditions are related which is why I have no phonetic ability, I can’t distinguish (“hear”) sounds and can’t reproduce a sound nor sing nor speak foreign languages.